Monday, September 21, 2009

Don't Just Sit There; Learn Something!

Participatory learning has always been one of my top learning modalities. I love this video. It speaks to the frustration I think a lot of students and instructors have with education as a one way channel. To go from a culture where sitting up straight and being quiet is a core foundational skill to one where learning to create, connect, and share are the skills is really exciting. There is so much sense in what George has to say about how teaching and learning works. Connectivism has informed a lot of what I do as an instructional designer. Research has shown that the more interactive an online course is, the higher the retention rate. When I look at curricula, I like to ask a few questions:

  • Why is the student here?
  • What is this student doing?
  • How is what the teacher is asking the student to going to help the student connect with other ideas in the course and from his or her fellow students?
Here is the video from Robin Good's YouTube channel:


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment